Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's that time again...

BEAD SHOWS! I love a good bead show. Who wouldn't? I mean really...(okay maybe my husband wouldn't, but that's kind of different.) what beader wouldn't?

This Saturday will be my fourth craft fair in five weeks, so technically I should be making jewelry on Sunday (actually I probably will end up making jewelry, but not for the whole day.), but I will be going to the Rings & Things trunk show in Sacramento for a big chunk of the day. Be aware - if you are planning on attending Rings & Things - it is a wholesale show. You need to have a resale license, or you get to pay full price.

I went to the Rings & Things bead show on April 9th (it was my first R & T show) with one hundred dollars and no idea what it would be like. I had been to BABE (see next post) by then, but knew this would be a different type of show. First big difference-only one vendor, Rings & Things. Second big difference-they wanted to give me a really big discount off the retail price of the beads (they like me! they really like me!). The R & T show takes up a good sized conference room at a local hotel at what used to be McClellan AFB in Sacramento. When I went in April, I actually took some time off from my day job so that I could get there at the early end of the show. Good thing too, because I ended up spending several hours there. (It was a little overwhelming actually) THERE WERE SO MANY BEADS...some I had never seen in person before, and the quality was great. I learned an important lesson that day, BRING A CALCULATOR! Luckily my cell phone has a calculator function or I would have been hopelessly confused. The discount is 50% off the retail price, then 15% off that. I impressed by husband with my fabulous shopping prowess, as I walked out the door with change in my pocket. Remember, my limit was $100.00. I spent $99.73, and I purchased A LOT of beads.
So...I am going to go again this Sunday. If you are going to go, get there early, and don't forget you license. If you see a strand you like and you aren't sure about it, take it! It won't be there later if you decide you did want it after all. You can always put it back later if you change your mind. Wear comfy shoes, take water and a powerbar, you're going to need it. Good luck and have a good time.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin