Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Swag is SCARY...but maybe not too much.


There are 107 definitions for SWAG in the Urban Dictionary, I think this one is pretty close to what I had in mind...

SWAG -- Stuff We All Get - Relating to the trade show convention industry, where exhibitors hand out "free stuff" to visitors. Most of the time these items are purely promotional materials, and are fairly worthless. ie. pencils, mugs, and mouse pads. SWAG always has the company name, logo, slogan, product, service, and contact information clearly printed somewhere on the item/s. Some convention goers have made a hobby of collecting as much swag as possible, and compete with others at the show. - "The online gaming booth is handing out swag demo disks." - "That beats my swag bag of stationary!"
Why am I concerned with Swag, you might ask? Because I need some! I am doing a craft fair in May (IndieSacramento) and there is a swag requirement (minimum is 30 pieces/50 and you get pimped on their website).
First, I had to find out what swag was. Google and done. Next, check out previous swag. There was a note to check out the blog archive from last December and check out the Swag updates...done. OOOOKKKK. Hmmm. Well-then-there-now. Most of the swag was those little buttons, mind you way cooler than most but, plenty of them. There were also little soap samples, little earrings and some neat paper crafts (bookmark, gift tag, or mini card).
Okay, so what to do...Steve said do those little buttons. Yeah, okay, but really, what will that say about Juli's Jewels. I pride myself on the one-of-a-kind or seriously limited edition. But now I'll have a hundred of just one thing. Not really me, I'm thinking. So, again, what to do. BOTTLE CAPS, of course.

I've got plenty of them. I can make them into something pretty quickly, but what? Pins are popular swag and mine would be different. But, not everyone likes pins. So have pins half keychains.
So, I made 25 bottle cap keychains and 25 bottle cap pins. It took me parts of 4 days to complete they but they turned out great. I think they give a nice snapshot of what Juli's Jewels is about (Just like snowflakes, no two are the same). Check out the picture to the left and you will get an idea of what I did.
Be one of the first 150 people at Indie Sacramento and you might just get one!



1 comment:

Noncivilised Eye said...

They all look so pretty. I happen to have a one-of-a-kind Juli's Jewels pin, and I love it. I truly envy all those lucky people who get to go to Indie Sacramento and snag one!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin